This space goo malarky takes some getting used to. I am improving, but it is still a constant chore. It is sticky stuff, and stains, so if you do drip it or squirt it or whatever anywhere, it is unpleasant to clean up. It gets quite complex sometimes (alright, it may not sound complex, but in my current small universe it's VERY complex), having to switch between medication, hot chocolate and goo, and trying to stay clean at the same time.
Medication and hot chocolate are syringe-applied. To continue in my usual line of assuming you all have strong stomachs and want to know the gory details, the stomach thing has a length of tube sticking out, with some attachments on the end that let you screw bits in or stick other bits in. On the tube you have a small plastic clamp. This you have to remember to do up or undo, in order to allow matter in and, most importantly, to stop it all coming OUT again. That is the really fun bit. The other day was feeling a little bit down - washed, did my hair, put on a nice clean nightie to perk myself up, did my medication (crushed in water, syringed into tube) then my hot choccy (which is also syringed in and really just for the smell). For whatever reason, even though I clamped the clamp, the hot choccy did not want to stay in, and I had a devil of a time not chocolating myself all over. They onto brekkers proper, yummy, fibre goo. This time I forgot to clamp the clamp when I was attaching myself, and my clean nightie became a thing of nightmares. Me floods of tears.
I stamped my feet at myself a few times to stop myself being pathetic, washed it as best I could (without getting the wrist dressing wet...) and put it on the radiator to dry. OK, OK, I had another one. It's just that... it's so sticky and it has this particular smell - not unpleasant just... I don't know, particular and it makes me think of hospitals and old people; and I wanted to wear THAT nightie and sometimes it's those little things that just bring one down.
Yesterday I almost managed 4 full packs of goo. I can now do the fibre goo at 250ml/hour, which is around maximum, so one pack takes 2 hours. I can't do the ISO that fast; I tried it last night, and after 2/3s of a pack had to stop, it gives me a bad back. That may sound silly, but I'm sure what I need is for someone to put me over their shoulder and pat/rub my back until I have a jolly good burp, and then it would be all better.
Maybe I can start practising projectile vomit?
Welcome to my blog
When I was really scared and ill, other people's cancer blogs helped me, so I hope this one can help others. It is also a real security space for me, because you don't get over cancer that fast... I'm still on the journey. Sometimes it's fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Gosh it sounds tough and tricky dealing with all of this. You are doing so well managing it all. And it is fine to feel upset and low. Wish I could give you a big hug and pat your back!
ReplyDeleteWhere does the tube go in and how long do they think you will be on the goo? Do you feel hungry or thirsty? When you are home will you be able to make your own goo or is it best from a pack?
Sending calm healing thoughts and lots of love . Rachel