Rachel left a comment with loads more questions in, so here goes on answering it all! Rachel's comments in italics.
It is all rather complicated. Think I would find it bewildering and overwhelming.
You get the hang of it! The goo machine is easy-peasy, dealing with the tube is easy too, you just have to remember to block/unblock it, which is the bit I do still tend to forget at intervals... but I have far fewer disastrous gooey moments lol.
Is drinking with a straw a bit easier than eating? Or does that have challenges too?
I just tried this for the first time today, as it happens, for a high calorie drink. Took a bit of getting used to, have to be careful I aim the straw in the right direction - or rather, the left direction! - so the liquid doesn't hit any sensitive/non-swallowing bits, but I've got the hang of it now. I don't think there's any comparison better/worse really.
Mmm set custard would slip down nicely, plenty of calories too. How about cold consomme?
Set custard mmmmmmmmmm - all that sort of thing yesssssssssss. Although Bird's custard (which is the only real custard) has never been the same since they took the no doubt highly carcinogenic yellow colouring out of it! and I'm sure they must have removed some flavourings at the same time. I've never been one for consommé, but it would be good for me... I'll have to think about it.
Today I managed to eat almost a whole slice of bread - well, by English loaf standards, actually, probably less than half a slice - but I can manage it, in very very small pieces, with generous butter to help it slip down, and I also had tuna rillettes on it. Can't translate rillettes, but it's a sort of tuna paté but a bit coarser. My decision tonight is scrambled eggs with smoked trout (havn't got any smoked salmon hanging around). Doesn't mean I'll necessarily eat that tonight... I think I'll be soup and bread, but a hearty potato and cheese soup yummy... must appreciate it all while I still have my taste buds.
I'm working on making myself take more in orally (calm down boys - I also have the problem that I really can't open my mouth very far) - but using the syringe less for liquids, and trying to eat rather than goo. However, I think I'm not taking in enough calories at all. Well, I know I'm not... so I still have to make myself goo. But if I don't goo during the day, then it's no fun for poor Lionel, who understandably likes to eat in company.
The windows sound an improvement, shame they did not get put in before you came home from hospital! Anything like that makes a huge mess and needs lots of cleaning which is probably a bit too much for you right now.
You are so right the windows really help to get the place warm which was being a problem, but I can't deal with housework, just doing any small thing exhausts me. But yippee today we agreed with the lady who does the flat upstairs that she will come to us 3 hours a week at least for the next few weeks (then she wants to reduce her working hours to revise for her degree). Since the flat upstairs is spotless, I have high hops - although the flat upstairs is also organised and doesn't have STUFF all over the place, which we do. We shall see!!
Goodness, all that paperasse to deal with! What a pain and peculiarly french. Presumably you need to sort it out fairly immediately. Does your GP get involved now to prescribe the other things you need? It does sound a worry that you don't have everything you need.
Yes it really is a pain in the arse and wildly French. I got to see my GP - she had to fit me in in the evening, you know these people work SUCH long hours, the doctors, the nurses, they all look completely exhausted! - she re wrote the sick note for me for 2010 which was a relief, and was also perplexed that I had had no prescriptions from the hospital, she did the necessary.
Rather unusual for a french doctor to underprescribe. Can you get Gaviscon, for the reflux, from the chemist?
Yes it is isn't it? although I guess there's a difference between underprescribe and just... not! you can get Gavison and I have some, although have to say have not found it wildly effective, but now also have the single daily tablet. Have worked out I can shake the contents of the capsule into a bit of yoghurt and eat it that way (it is quite sweet and crunchy), it didn't disolve well. I certainly can't cope with swallowing actual pills yet.
There! Rachel all catered for!
Welcome to my blog
When I was really scared and ill, other people's cancer blogs helped me, so I hope this one can help others. It is also a real security space for me, because you don't get over cancer that fast... I'm still on the journey. Sometimes it's fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for all that, it has really helped me understand what is going on. You sound quite buoyant and coming to terms with it and managing it all very well. Recuperating is a full-time job! Especially with all those appointments and finding time to eat enough.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you have a nice GP who has been on the ball with prescriptions and the like. It sounds as if you are in good hands, medically.
When my children were babies they both had very bad acid reflux due to having an immature sphincter on their stomachs. They had Gaviscon which was like gloopy jam which seemed to be easy to take. Obviously the baby version may well not work on adults but the consistency might be good?
More later
Lots of love
Rachel
The Gaviscon here is a minty liquid, not a goo - gooey stuff must be just babies?
ReplyDelete