It's good and bad... had the remaining stitches taken out of my neck and wrist. The wrist stitches took a long time and are probably not complete - because apparently they had been left in too long and the skin has grown over them in places. They reckon the strange round seeping blob on the wrist is due to an allergy to the stitches - you could see there were stitches specifically around that area, not sure what the area itself is still, though; there are other little allergic reactions happening all round the edges, so this sounds quite likely. She removed all she could, but she said the body now just has to cope with it, and various bits of thread will probably just pop up from time to time and I should cut it off or pull it out. Eeesh.
Stitches left in too long - so who's bloody fault is that? There were no instructions left on the subject and when I was in hospital no-one seemed to know if these particular stitches needed to be removed or if they would be absorbed. I'm pissed off about that.
The scars from the major neck surgery are truly minimal. The worst of it is actually just dirt!!! so now the stitches are out and the scabs are off, I need to tend to getting rid of the nasty black line, yuk yuk, gentle soaping every day.
It's the tracheotomy that's the issue - a deep scar somewhat hidden by an overlapping pocket of skin, and it pulls when I swallow. I in fact find it much less comfortable without the dressing - or without putting my fingers on it, for when I swallow - havn't coughed or sneezed yet but I suspect the same will hold true. Frankly if they were able just to sew the upper bit to the lower bit and the two fused nicely, it feels like it would solve the problem! I know there are various plastic surgery techniques available to fix this issue.
Under my chin it is still all hard and swollen and I'm hoping that this is not going to mean I have a permanent 'sewn in' double chin that stays even if I lose weight! but certainly, it's going to take a considerable time to heal - I really need to track its progress over a year or more. My wrist is not a pretty sight either.
Oh well, oh well - I'm alive, aren't I!
Apparently because I'm on sick leave I'm not allowed to leave the department - what should I do about Christmas !?
Welcome to my blog
When I was really scared and ill, other people's cancer blogs helped me, so I hope this one can help others. It is also a real security space for me, because you don't get over cancer that fast... I'm still on the journey. Sometimes it's fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hiya Sian,
ReplyDeleteFrom the photo it looks like you are healing really well. Yes, can see what you mean about the tracheotomy but maybe that can be fixed a bit? Wishing you well for the other appointments today and the 8th. Sounds like you may get a bit of a rest from it all over Christmas?
Lots of love
Rachel
Firstly - who will be checking on you over Xmas? Hmm? Secondly, lots of people travel to Montpellier/Herault as a really nice destination for a holiday. Thirdly, you don't really want to be around lots of people stuffing their faces for Xmas or New Year do you?
ReplyDeleteHere are some suggestions, really just to get you thinking.
Is there any kind of spa/relaxation/ meditation centre you could book into for a few days? Body wraps and massages and meaningful silences and such like? When will you be able to get your wrist wet, so swim or soak in healing salts?
Or join me (virtually) on the beach. My Xmas day will be a good book, a crossword, a big bottle of water and a thermos of fruit juice, something to nibble and a sun hat, down on the quiet beach. Though I could find I am sharing it with a zillion Dominicans - who knows? Oh and maybe a game of Scrabble online with you later on?
Or sit and people-watch. Find a cafe on a square or by a beach or next the cathedral and watch everyone else getting stressed out, and smile. Take photos of everyone who catches your eye and make a montage as your Xmas card for next year.
Go up a mountain with some CD's and a book and a camera and enjoy the view and play the music REALLLLLY LOUD - could even be The Messiah if you want to be Christmassy. Take a photo every hour or so and turn these into a calendar for next year (need to do this a couple of days to get enough pics).
Plan what you are going to do next year to celebrate the first anniversary of your operation. That probably will involve food and wine!
Lindsay
PS I look forward to photo with a clean neck next time!!
PPS can you get a jewel set in your tracheotomy scar? Not if it hurts though. Sorry, getting silly here..
:D Thanks for the silliness, Lins! and for the not quite so silly ideas. Going to blog on the strength of it.
ReplyDelete