Welcome to my blog

When I was really scared and ill, other people's cancer blogs helped me, so I hope this one can help others. It is also a real security space for me, because you don't get over cancer that fast... I'm still on the journey. Sometimes it's fun!

January 6, 2010

What a GOOD day!

Well, the morning was just the same as usual - lazy lol. But it was a beautiful sunny day, I felt all excited and positive because of the lovely sunshine, gave the bedroom a good airing (even though it was cooooold) and thought quite hard about actually doing some gentle pruning. But mostly I thought, great, it's Wednesday, Lionel will be home at lunch time and free for the afternoon, we'll go into town together in the lovely sunshine.

L did have the presence of mind when he got back and I said yay, let's go to town, to ask how we were going to fit my treatment in... bum. Had forgotten that detail - I'm so concentrated on nothing! So instead, L sorted out getting the domestic help going again (we should be up and running for the week after next) and we went out me driving, did the treatment (it doesn't take long to get zapped) and then into town, we were there for 4, and the first day of the SALES, yay!

I had a good sensible bash in what I believe is the Redoute outlet shop - 3 organic cotton long sleeved low necked t-shirts and 4 organic low necked cotton jumpers - cotton only is recommended against damaged skin; so these are perfect for daily wear protecting my wrist and not rubbing my neck (the graft place is healing only slowly and is quite sore); plus a cute little soft wool number in apricot, that will be nice in spring time. And once I'd picked all that lot up, Lionel insisted on paying for it - what a sweety. He loves buying me stuff :)

Then I found a coat, well, a lovely warm cuddly big baggy thing with a fake fur ruff round the hood, you know the sort of thing, it is comfy and really warm and a little bit stylish, and was only 25 Euros! So chuffed with that, I concentrated on looking for brown boots and found a pair in the last shop before we dropped (oh L bought himself some jimjams inbetween, and we went to La Comédie and had a hot choccy and generally toured a bit). The boots are actually exactly the same as a pair I bought last year but last year they were grey suede, this year brown leather - and just because they saw me coming, all the colours except brown were marked down to 84 Euros, but brown was 103. Damn - oh well - the coat balances it out! Anyway, I'm really pleased - the are the sort that goes a bit baggy on the leg, soft, and have a heel that looks nice but isn't too high, so still comfy and wearable. They are the sort of thing that just adds a bit of femininity to a very basic getup. Turns from frump to - well, reasonable lol.

Then this evening they had Slumdog Millionaire on telly - I was able to watch it in English, L put the French subtitles on for him - just loved those accents, and a favorite film that I had been wanting to see again, manages to turn poverty and misery into a joyous occasion. Followed by some Bollywood and a fascinating look at cinema in India - currently a documentary on Mollywood, Superman films being done by a small producer within villages, there is one cinema in Malegao (?), the area he works in, and he uses the local villagers in his films etc. but they still all pay their 20 rupees to go to see them - they are fantastic, he does his films in 3 months, his latest cost 100000 rupees, and he doesn't want to go and work with the big film companies, he has everything he needs there. And just now, there was a look at all the different types of cinema you can find - the cleverest was a box on wheels, with a manual project outside; the box had 26 viewing holes cut in it at different heights, which had little flaps that the owner controlled lifting. The inside of the box had the white projecter screen in it and the 26 holes accomodate the eyes of up to 26 people, generally children. The films they show cost 1 or 2 rupees a go, so the children can get a treat really cheap. The man turning the handle listens to the soundtrack to make sure he's going at the right speed. Oh, and lots of other fascinating stuff, so many people make their lives through film, but not at all the big industry that we know, there are so many people who love and live by their own home-run version of it... old hand-cranked films in bad condition... it doens't matter. It is magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment